By Rachel Haas
Founder, Haas of Style
I’m just going to cut to the chase and spill the tea! Typically my blog posts entail fashion tips since I'm a wardrobe stylist but since most of us are debating whether we should change our sweatpants today I’m going to tell you how I lost over 5 pounds in quarantine.
It definitely took a minute to adapt, and all the snacks I ate at the beginning of the pandemic can hold me accountable for that. However, I decided to dive into cooking because it’s always something I wanted to improve due to having a lot of food sensitivity issues.
I just want to start off by saying this is the diet I found that works best for ME. I am not a doctor or a nutritionist. I decided to be mostly plant-based. However, I am still a pescatarian and consume fish as a treat. I definitely try to make consuming fish a once a week thing. I take Vitamin B complex and Iron pills every day to make up for my meatless diet.
Different blood types require diets that are specific to them. But some of my tips are universal across all diets. My intention is to help you find at least one take away from this blog post.
- Wake up and make a cup of lemon juice with hot water. WHY: As a rich source of vitamin C, lemon juice protects the body from Immune system deficiencies. Drinking lemon juice with warm water every morning helps in maintaining the pH balance of the body. Lemon juice with warm water helps in quick weight loss as it promotes digestion and increases the metabolic rate.
- Intermittent fasting. I do the 16/8 method. Where you fast for 16 hours and eat for 8. I have chosen to eat between the hours of 1-9p.m because it’s easier for me to skip breakfast. Having my lemon water in the A.M does not break your fast. If you are celery juicing or want to have celery juice for gut benefits it doesn’t break your fast either. WHY fast: It allows your body to use your stored energy and burn off excess body fat.
FYI: If you’re on certain medications/diabetes please consult a doctor before fasting.
3. I break my fast at 1 pm with a smoothie. Which is one of the most delicious smoothies ever! I got this recipe from one of my dearest friends, Shayna Taylor. I will post her website and Instagram links at the bottom of this post so you can explore her other recipes.
- 1 handful frozen blueberries
- 1 half of a frozen banana
- 1 handful of organic spinach
- 2 branches of organic kale (peel leaves off the branch and throw away stem)
- 1 scoop almond butter
- 1 cup almond milk (add more or less if needed)
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 and a half scoop of Vanilla Coconut Powder from Alkamind
- 1 scoop TruMarine Collagen from WithinUs
This holds me over till about 3 pm. Then I head over for some snacks!
Easy yummy snack options
- Laiki rice crackers
- Sliced cucumbers with Bitchin’ Sauce
- Roasted Cauliflower with Hot Sauce
- Sliced Apples with almond butter
- “Scrambled eggs” Its totally vegan! I found a formula from a brand called Just Egg that is a vegan egg mixture ready for omelets etc.
- Siete chips (Fuego is my favorite flavor)
- Avocado with lemon, black pepper, paprika, and salt served on a Wasa Sourdough cracker
Then I start cooking dinner at around 6 to eat at 7.
- Marinated tofu (Tamari reduced-sodium gluten-free soy sauce) on top of miracle noodles and mixed vegetables
- Banza pasta with tomato sauce or can make vegan mac and cheese
- Red lentil pasta with light olive oil
- Cauliflower steak (so easy!)
- Wild Caught Salmon
- Tuna Steak
- Plant-Based meat from Lightlife turn into meatless meatballs
- Almond Flour Tortilla Wraps from Siete with plant-based protein or veggie tacos with guac, lemon, lime
- Cauliflower mashed potatoes (so easy!)
- Mixed vegetables
- Arugula salad with tomato
- Sweet Potato fries
- Roasted Eggplant
My grocery list on Instacart:
I have found that Vons carries a lot of these healthier niche brands too.
- Bananas to cut and freeze
- Frozen Blueberries
- Gluten-Free Crackers from Wasa
- Happy Planet Oat Milk or Low Cal Almond Milk
- Almond Butter
- Cilantro Chili Dip from Bitchin Sauce
- Miracle Noodle
- Banza Pasta
- Just Egg
- Almond Flour Tortilla Wraps from Siete
- Salt and Vinegar chips from The Real Coconut
- Tamari reduced-sodium gluten-free soy sauce
- Vegan Butter
- Bunch of Cauliflower
- Organic Baby Arugula
- Lightlife plant-based ground beef
- Sweet Potato / Alexia sweet potato fries
- Kite Hill (Ravioli made with almond milk ricotta)
- Tomato Puree without seeds and skins
- Laiki rice crackers
- Siete Hot Sauce
- Chia seeds
- Frozen cauliflower rice
- Organic spinach
- Wild salmon
- Laiki Crackers
- Organic tomato
- Bell Peppers
- TruMarine Collagen from WithinUs
- Vanilla Coconut Protein Powder from Alkamind
Alcohol: (Cut down on consumption to lose weight but if you're going to drink)
I like a skinny spicy margarita.
I take my glass and put lime juice along the rim. Then I turn the glass over and equally distribute Tajin over the rim. Grab my shaker and add my favorite tequila, lemon, lime, jalapeno, ice, and green juice that I order from Pressed Juice. (it consists of kale, parsley, cucumber, lemon, spinach) Then Shake it up!!!
*I have been ordering a pressed juice delivery of greens 1. You can order 5 juices for $33.00
*If you're going to drink wine try and find an organic or biodynamic option.
LA-Based Restaurant Delivery Recommendations:
- Sage Organic Plant-Based Bistro
- Native Foods
- Erewhon Hot Bar
- Kreation Organic Juicery
- Tocaya Organica
- Crossroads Kitchen
- Localita- Plant-Based Badasserie
- Tender Greens
- Make Out
- Nic's On Beverly
- Lucky You Plant-Based Pizza
Yummy Treats to order:
- Strawberry Rose Geranium Bar from Moon Juice
- Chocolate Chaga Donuts from Moon Juice
- Tons of options you can make with the frozen bananas. Just add a popsicle stick and toppings before freezing
- Planet Oat Milk Icecream (Erewhon) with cacao chocolate chips
Taste On Melrose is providing Mimosa Kits to order!!
Vegan Soft Serve freeze from Pressed Juice
Best website and blog to find recipes:
This week was also the week my gel x nails had to come off. I was so scared about removing them and made sure I consulted with my friends in the beauty industry prior to removing them. I had gotten so many replies on my Instagram story of removing them so I thought I would share my experience.
List of supplies you'll need
- 100% Acetone (If you're in LA I just ordered from Nigel's in Burbank. So much cheaper)
- Nail Buffer
- Stainless steel nail pusher tool
- nail file
- nail polish
- nail clippers
- nail strengthing polish
- Cotton Balls
You're going to need to be patient. You want to make sure that your nails won't be tormented by this process. First, say a prayer.
Then, cut down all your nails with the nail clipper. Take the bowl out and begin.
Take the acetone and pour it over the cotton ball. Apply the cotton ball directly to the top of your nail and then wrap it in tinfoil. Do this for all your nails.
Now call a girlfriend and talk for 15 minutes and wait.
- Remove the tin foil and grab the pusher.
- Some nails are more resilient than others.
- Just feel it out until parts of your nail begin lifting. Use the nail clipper to clip off the parts that are coming off easily.
- If some of the nails are not coming off put another acetone cotton ball with tinfoil.
- Once you've successfully removed all of your nails take the nail buffer and buff out any access gel.
- Wash your hands.
- File nails to shape.
- Use nail strengthening nail polish then paint with color of choice!
- You should apply some lotion too.
I hope you have enjoyed these tips!! Stay healthy and safe!!